PSN-YPG NATIONAL REPORT FOR THE MONTH OF AUGUST 2023
Happy New Month to you. I welcome you into the month of September 2023.
PSN-YPG RESEARCH HUB
The PSN-YPG Research Hub is an initiative of PSN-YPG aimed at creating an empowering community of young research enthusiasts. Its primary goal is to facilitate collaboration, and sharpen their research skills and expertise. During the month in review, we opened an application for Young Pharmacists to join the Research Hub. Selected applicants will undergo an 8-week intensive incubation phase where they will learn the rudiments of research.
PSN-YPG CONTENT CREATORS
During the month under review, the call for YPs to be part of the PSN-YPG content creators group was properly initiated following the outcome of the National Conference. The missions of the group include:
- To improve visibility and attention to the contents created by YPs
- To help each other improve the quality of content (through Training and retraining)
- To help YP content creators gain access to the national and global stage.
Those interested in joining should kindly reach-out to me (National Secretary).
KAY-PI (PRACTISING IN THE DIGITAL SPACE: SALES AND DISTRIBUTION)
During the month in review, another edition of “Keep All Young Pharmacists Informed (KAY-PI)” was held with a focus on practices in the digital space. Pharmacist Peter Iliya, Former Director of Special Duties at PCN, was the speaker at the event. The event recorded about 80 attendees.
The webinar was designed to educate YPs about the provisions outlined in the PCN Acts concerning activities within digital spaces. In continuation, additional webinars will delve into the intricacies of digital space practices.
EXCERPTS FROM THE PSN COUNCIL MEETING
During the month in review, the chairman attended the PSN Council meeting in Gombe, where he represented the interests of Young Pharmacists. Some of the issues discussed were as follows:
- JEWEL CITY 2023: Registration for the PSN National Conference is ongoing, and we strongly encourage early registration. We invite you to actively participate in all conference activities. It’s worth noting that the planning and implementation of the proposed Football Competition during the conference has been entrusted to us, the PSN-Young Pharmacists Group.
- NDLEA against the arrested Pharmacist Ikwebe Ori Hellen: The Chairman presented the issue to the Council, and in response, it was gathered that PSN and PCN had already stepped in to intervene on behalf of the Pharmacist, but it was discovered that she hadn’t been practicing within the ambit of the law.
Furthermore, it was also gathered that she last renewed her license in 2020, hence she is not currently licensed to practice pharmacy.
Above all, the order of pentazocine she placed was done with the wrong documents including the requisition order which was traced to her former place of practice.
3. AWARD NOMINATION: Nominations for the May and Baker Professional Service Award 2023, Bio-Generic Integrity Award 2023, and Pfizer Excellence Service Award- Community pharmacist category are ongoing. It will be joyous to see YPs win any of these awards, hence we encourage qualified pharmacists to apply.
The National Chairman then visited Adamawa and Kano states in order. The visit was to encourage and spur them towards participating in the activities of the PSN-YPG and PSN both at the state and National level.
He also met with their respective PSN state executives, ACPN state chairmen, and other senior Pharmacists in the states to discuss further how to build partnerships with them to foster increasing interest in the activities of the pharmacy profession.
The chairman capped it all by visiting some Community Pharmacists who have been very supportive of Young Pharmacists in establishing their own Community Pharmacy outlets and have also served as Mentors.
Thank you for your time and effort. Have a lovely month ahead.